About Whitton Tower
The Rectory was built in about 1830 (some hard evidence pointing it at 1839 - see history page). This was to be the grand frontage and main entrance to the rest of the building, including the Pele tower. The style choosen was Gothic Revival, this was a favorite style of the Victorians, with many notable buildings built in this style eg. Allerton Castle.
The children who came to the Ethel Watson Convalescence Home between 1936-1983 would have used this enterence - it's not surprising that it left a stong memory.
Whitton Tower is made up of several properties:
The views around Whitton Tower:
A relatively new-build, a bungalow built in about 1987. This occupies part of the once walled kitchen gardens of the Rectory. They had a special feature: they were built with a cavity and a firehouse which blew hot air around warming the special plants.
One of the original buildings of the 1839 renovation by Canon Charles Vernon-Harcort adding a coach house. It is now being carefully and lovingly renovated by the latest owners. Records show the Coach House had further outbuildings to the west, although these were taken down some time ago.
This has been a major project, the property was in need of some emergancy structural work. The current owners having done this made huge changes to both the internal and external parts of the building.
A large Beech tree used to stand in front of the building but in 2012 it was deemed dangerous and had to be removed, The owner used the wood as features on and in the building.
The Pele Tower was originally built about 14th Century, however, according to several references it has had many changes and major rebuilds made to it. The most recent was in about 1830, which is when it had the East Wing added (now called The Rectory). All these changes were made in the style of Gothic Revival.
The conservatory that can be seen in the picture was added recently and replaced a previous one that was added in the early part of the 20th century.
for more details check out the History page.
Sharp's Folly was commissioned by the Rev. Dr. Thomas Sharp to bring much needed work to the local Masons of the village.
The Picture was taken from the The Rectory. The folly occupies a high site and can be seen for miles around.
As the plaque states:
REV. DR. THOMAS SHARP
Rector of Rothbury 1720-1758
FOR THE RELIEF OF UNEMPLOYMENT
AMONST LOCAL STONEMASONS
AND USE AD AN OBSERVATORY.
IT IS THE OLDEST FOLLY IN
THE COUNTY AND A LISTED BUILDING
W. & T.P.C